View Single Post
Old 11-28-15, 11:08 PM   #135
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

OK, emerson has consolidated the lineup of its latest (ZRK5) replacement scroll compressors. The 51 models it used to make (in various motor windings and whatever else custom in each model) has been trimmed down to 13 models. All of these ZRK compressors are emerson/copeland factory replacements for a bazillion proprietary part numbers made for the hordes of different brands of HVAC manufacturers.

I believe the red 3 phase pots you were looking at before are field replacements built for trane. Cuz painting them bright colors makes them completely different, inside and out. The strange numbers help too.

Here is the bulletin:
http://www.digitalscroll.com/uscampaigns/mb2010cc-4.pdf

The two ZRK3 models you linked to are single-phase brothers of the 3 phase scrolls you were looking at before. The main differences seem to be motor windings and marketing for the refrigerants that were supposed to replace r-22 during its phase-out. Obviously, the market has shifted to R-410a units (different family of relacement pots: ZPK5) and ongoing replacement of existing r-22 pots.

The CRK6 compressor I pointed out is rated for use in a circa 1980's 10 SEER unit, as that is what the pots were factory-built with way back then. If you can find an old goodman, york, trane, coleman, etc, 10 SEER air-source unit (just check on craigslist for a few days or weeks) it will have either a scroll like you found or a recip like i found in it. If you stick the turbotec hx and a txv on the old pot, then it will more than likely put out more than its nameplate btu's if you feed the hx enough warm water. Likewise, if you stick one of the newer pots (rated inside a 20 SEER factory unit) in the old 10 SEER original unit, it will most likely not put out its nameplate btu's because of the inefficient outdoor coil.

http://yaunco.com/images/ebay/compre...pfvratings.pdf

Last edited by jeff5may; 11-29-15 at 02:22 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote