View Single Post
Old 09-20-14, 10:50 AM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F357 View Post
Let's just say there was an incident while I was trying to get out the old fan motor, and now my air conditioner needs to be charged.

I've always wanted to try and recharge an air conditioner with propane. Is there a how to out there anywhere for this? Everything I google is about a car. I can figure out the plumbing, but I'm not sure what I need for gauges. Can I just use a pressure gauge with the right range for the high and low side, or do I need a fancy refrigeration manifold set?

Now that I broke the seal I'm going to get a little more custom and try to make a real heat pump with reversing valves.
If you are going to venture into the fascination realm of organic refrigerants, you need to know that there are undeniable hazards involved, like fire. Be sure to acquaint yourself with recommended procedures to insure your safety. Do not do any gassing in a closed space. Go outside to work. Never do any gassing without a full face shield, and full hand and body cover.

IT'S YOUR DECISION, IT'S YOUR SAFETY.

If your original unit used R22 as a refrigerant, switching to Propane will be straightforward, since the lubricants and metering devices, etc will work.

Camping gas will work, right out of the little green canisters.

I would suggest going with the easiest project first, which would be refrigerant replacement, leaving the rest of the system intact, but changing the position of the thermostat, and also using a thermostat that will keep power on until a desired level of warmth is reached, rather that the desired level of coolness.

You will have plenty of lessons to learn... and interesting new tools to acquire.

Best,

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-20-14 at 10:57 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote