View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 10:41 AM   #7
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Xringer I did indeed read your links, thanks ! , I like the idea of having a small system running constantly. Rather then a large system that cycles on and off.
I want to nix the large battery pack, meaning i will need to supplement the night heating from another source.

Easy fix is a wood furnace for back up and a large wind turbine for a energy generator.

AC
The house would be designed to retain heat more then absorb it. A house that will go up fast and be heated in a user friendly ,reliable manner. It should have a wood furnace for back up and require little battery storage, to make it semi passive. Going the distance of a fully passive house is a bigger endeavor then i want to take on.

In the past i lived in my own cabins for a few years, built on the west coast facing the ocean. For heat i used a wood stove for light kerosene lamps, cooking on the wood stove. I was in that cabin for a cold snap of -17 (freak weather) with the wood stove on full tilt bogie i staved off the cold enough to sleep/survive. That cabin had no insulation was made from hand split cedar boards over a pecker pole tarp covered frame.
That was ruff.

I have a ton of faith of constructing a off grid PV powered home, With only a $100,000 for the construction and power infrastructure I will be doing it mostly by myself but have tradesmen friends who will help out when possible.
My Dad was a journeyman Carpenter my Grand Dad a machinist, i leaned a lot from them as a kid including helping my dad build his house.

I have a friend who is a Steel worker , not just tying steel, he builds the footings for the buildings and bridges and has offered (with some compensation) to help make the structure. I was thinking of going with a tilt up design but am now thinking along the the lines of a steel and concrete framed structure.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote