View Single Post
Old 01-13-12, 09:20 AM   #13
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
UV-C LEDs with enough output to deactivate bacteria are in the works. They will change the face of UV disinfection without a doubt.
I am reading about it right now. I have seen UV LEDs at 260nm, but they are ... about 300+ USD a PIECE. I wonder how many of these are required for a flow of up to 1 gallon pr minute? Can they turn on instantly? Are they OK with infinite cycles, and what is their expected service life?

300 USD is a steal, if one is enough - but if it takes, say, 20 diodes to have enough zapp, then it's a different story (!!!)

As they fall in price, they will be quite widespread used for disinfection.

UV-C tubes might be cheap for the power, BUT 1) They degrade 2) They use a lot of power (cannot be cycled), 3) They fail as they like, without warning.

So even if LEDs are (still) expensive @ 260 nm, it does not matter as much, if they use less electricity (can be cycled), forms less film on lens (much lower operating temperature), and can be made to run only when there is flow.

Brilliant, this is my solution - depending on those questions above, how they are answered ...