View Single Post
Old 08-10-14, 11:18 PM   #218
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I argue this:
r-12 and r-22 are dinosaurs. I could still buy them if i had an EPA license. A 30 pound cylinder of either would run me in excess of $200. Or, I could go to my favorite local gas station and buy 20 pounds of HD-5 propane for less than $20 without a license. I could put it straight into my r-22 air conditioner, and it would work at least 90% as well.

Dollar per dollar, propane is a better gas.
SO2/R768, anhydrous ammonia/R-717, methyl chloride and methyl formate predates fluorocarbons and petroleum distillate products like propane, butanes predates everything.
If CFC and HCFCs are dinosaurs, R-290 is dinosaur's great grand mommy.

Purchasing R-22 for your own use and using it without EPA 608 is illegal, as is purchasing durgs off the street.

Using explosive gas like R-290 as a refrigerant is also illegal.

What makes legal compliance a concern to you when it comes to acquisition of R-22, but not when it comes to unlawful use of prohibited refrigerant?

The point of my post was debunking the myth that highly processed, semi-synthetic hydrocarbon HC-290 produced from crude oil petroleum feedstock that sales literature claim to be "natural refrigerant" do not live up to purported superior efficiency compared to HCFC 22 made from natural gas, sea water and fluorospar rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
So how are you going to build your own heat pump?

-AC
What do you mean? The process is the same regardless of refrigerant used and R-290 do not have magical properties that makes its use unavoidable. HFC-410A, HFC-134a, HFC-507, etc are all available, as well as HCFC-22.

I was under the impression that you guys are looking at beyond the "$$$ of upfront direct cost".

Last edited by ICanHas; 08-10-14 at 11:58 PM..
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote