View Single Post
Old 10-01-13, 09:41 PM   #4
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Vacuum 'pump' you show is worthless, do not throw even $15 down a rathole. You need something that will pull down to under 1 Torr, 500 microns preferred. (10 Pa ,5 Pa )
Cheapest one I saw right off on ebay is:

Single Stage 3CFM 1 4HP Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump HVAC Air AC A C R410A R134a | eBay

micron gauge is good, but you can probably find a used analog one for less $$. Be aware that if you have any type of leak, the micron gauge will always show maximum even though with a small leak the gauge set will show 30" of vacuum. It will also take a few minutes to pump down until the vac gauge shows anything.

gauge sets per se are OK, but you will need adapters for R134 to R410A connections, and also for sae 5/16 to 1/4 interconnections.

Would be good to get a nitrogen bottle and regulator to do preliminary pressure testing also.

Don't forget to get a small quantity of POE oil to lube ALL surfaces of the flares before torqueing.

I prefer to pull vacuum for 15-20 min, put dry nitrogen into system at 400 psi and turn off all gauges and let sit overnight. Pressure in the morning should read the 'same' as the previous day - don't forget to calculate temperature effect on pressure. Then pull 500 micron or lower vacuum and hold for a few hours (I do overnight just to make sure)

Then just crack slightly open the valves on the outdoor unit, just enough to show a few psi positive pressure - and ONLY then remove the gauge hoses.
Now open the outdoor unit valves fully and cap the ports.

Good luck.

PS: ditto on Mike's comments. I use 15% Ag silphos for brazing, NEVER try to 'just get by' with soldered refrigerant connections.

Last edited by mejunkhound; 10-01-13 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: add
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote