View Single Post
Old 12-16-16, 10:33 AM   #264
stevehull
Steve Hull

Pinball,

You are very lucky to be able to "bank" summer excess kWhrs for winter use (yearly adjustment). So far, your utility is the only one I know of that does this.

Most utilities allow you to "spill over" just one month. Then if you don't use it, you loose it.

Others, pay you the "avoided cost of generation" if you generate in excess for the month, but no spillover to the next month.

Our last install was with a coop that does not do any monthly spillover, and does not give avoided cost of generation. All you get for spillover is what you use within the month (daily spillover). I had to be very careful with the design as it was easy to over produce (too many panels) and then get the homeowner nothing.

I bet when your PV distributed energy contract comes up for renewal, that things get "readjusted". Especially with the political winds as they will be on January 20 onward.

I am lucky as the open loop geothermal heat pumps allow me to fill up ponds in the winter. Those are used in the summer for pasture irrigation. So I am saving some energy, but nothing like what you have.

Enjoy your really sweet deal while you can!

Steve