View Single Post
Old 01-27-14, 03:31 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek View Post
Yes, i would like to design most optimized kind of houses, according to insolation of choosen area (I am working in architect trade), but i also want to calculate gain from solar for my clients.
If this is what you are after, I think that a great program for you is the Passive House Planning Package (Also called "PHPP").

It takes almost everything into account: geographic location, house geometry, fenestration, orientation to the sun, thermal bridging, etc. etc.

It does not design the house for you, but it will give you a running calculation of your energy losses & gains. It's maximum heat-loss target is defined by the Passive House definition.

In other words, the house is sealed and insulated so that no heating system will be required, and the heat produced by normal human activity will supply the energy to maintain the house temperature to within a comfortable level all but the most cold temperatures that your house will be subject to.

As they say, the heat from a toaster could supply the make up heat. This is not to be taken literally, but the energy required would be so low that 1000 to 2000 watts of make up heat would suffice.

Last time I looked, the PHPP cost about $250 US.

-AC
Maciek (01-29-14), Mikesolar (01-27-14)