View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 11:53 PM   #342
michael
Michael

Thanks, AC, for taking the time to post the reply above. Using Ukiah is close, but we're really near the coast at less than a mile from the ocean four or five steps up what folks around here call the ecological staircase...a series of uplifts that pushed the ocean out and moved us up. The temps here are highly stabilized by the ocean's temp. In Ukiah it actually gets warm (and cold) with temps in the high 90s. We're about 45 miles west of Ukiah on the other side of a little coastal range. Our temperature here is mostly between 50 and 70 with a couple days in the high 70s, so when I entered a more local site, the one year heating degree day figure came up at just under 6000 (not enough data for five years which you must have discovered). The low temp on our heat loss calculation is 29 degrees. What I remember of Portland, having grown up there, it's lots hotter in summer and colder in winter than here.

Solar works pretty well here, and this property has good exposure with the trees on the north side. I'll be putting in a 2.5 kW PV array, and I will have a solar preheat for DHW. Everything in its time.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I'll check back in when there's some progress on the radiant floor or when there's something useful to say about the heat pump, and I won't forget about the Manifesto!

Last edited by michael; 11-22-13 at 12:20 AM..
michael is offline   Reply With Quote