View Single Post
Old 06-12-17, 08:27 AM   #213
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron342 View Post
Did you mean you went 260 ft with the poly gel?
What kind of structure were you going thru and how did you add the poly gel? And how much! I watched a pro driller once who added a few onces of a liquid he said was poly gel to his mud pit - he was careful to add a little at a time - must be powerful stuff!
In much of the middle eastern coastal areas we have clay/loam down to a certain depth (say about 25 ft) then sometimes over a hundred feet of marine clay, and sand and gravel. You can jet a 4" hole in the clay/loam but the marine clay needs at least a good mud pump (5 - 6 hp) and 3 - 5 hp drill. It drills fast but tends to form collars of gooey clay around the drill pipe joints if you go fast without good water flow. The marine clay also forms its own clay slurry in the drill pit like bentonite to seal the sides of the hole against collapse. And all over you too!
For me rock of much over large gravel (think golf balls on up) is the end of drilling.
Also, since you sure seem to be in the business, is there any kind of grout that is pumpable with ordinary centrifical pumps?
I had heard that neat cement makes good easily pumped grout for the hole but have no idea how its mixed or used?
We only use the poly gel in clay to make the hole slicker. And sand to keep the hole open. Yeah dont take much more than a few ounces . A lot of time we wont use it at all . The clay will make it a bit slicker. Best is a little sand every so deep to basically sandblast the clay .Those clay collars. We call boots. If you go to fast it will boot off. From a driller not properly cleanin out the hole. 1 more up and down motion at the end of each joint usually will help on that. The grout is mainly for heat transfer. Where were at the ground will naturally cave in on the pipe and is a bit better at the heat transfer . You need to grout the top though so far up for aquifers . Here is sandy clay and blue clay. Worst place to drill is monroville Al. Sea shells from 20-30 to 140 ft . And a lot of em are blind holes .
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote