Thread: Solar Shack
View Single Post
Old 11-28-13, 11:43 AM   #39
verdigo
Helper EcoRenovator

Yes to the batteries being Interstate. They are GC2 XHD's (6 volt golf cart batteries) and are rated at 232 amp hours. I will initially be using 2 strings of 8 at 48 volts. I don't have an inverter yet, but have decided on an Outback GVFX 3648.

Presently I'm just maintaining them and have on order the last four to make up the 16. I am by trade a garage keeper and have an Interstate Account for automotive batteries which gets me the batteries at a wholesale cost. This is the reason I chose Interstate, not that I don't believe they make a quality product.

This page gives all the charging info from Interstate. Interstate Batteries FAQ :: How do I charge certain deep cycle 6-volt and 12-volt batteries? .

Yeah. I'm pretty slow. My initial plan is for a total of 3400 watts of PV and the plan is to set the inverter to sell and use the solar in that way. I just can't wrap my head around having solar panels and not being able to use it if the power goes out so that's why I opted for battery back-up.

I am sort of doing things backwards instead of measuring all my loads and building the system for my usage. I intend on squeezing my usage into the system I am building and eventually not have to rely on the grid. Just my personality getting in the way of common sense.

Thanks for the kind words.

Dennis
verdigo is offline   Reply With Quote