View Single Post
Old 07-19-12, 11:09 AM   #1270
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB855 View Post
While on the topic of oils, there has been very little (if any?) mention of using driers in these diy systems. Is it a detail left out of the story, or a missed item?
You are quite right to mention this. It really is part of the story, and especially applicable to DIY systems. As I recall, BradC, from Australia did mention the importance of filter/dryers in another thread. He also did some experiments with restoring filter/dryers by using heat to drive off moisture. His experiments focused on using filter/dryers to upgrade bar-b-que gas for use in heat pump and air conditioning systems.

Vlad, in another thread, criticized the practice of omitting filter dryers in some commercial mini-split systems, as it was in conflict with his training & experience as to the desirability of their inclusion in a serious system design.

It is my personal preference that if a filter/dryer is included, that it is of the 'braze on' type, rather than a flare fitting type.

If you have information that you want to include, please feel free. We're all learning here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB855 View Post
With the talk of BPHE, It occurred to me today as I was changing out a radiator, Oil and transmission coolers built into radiators may be useful! So I ripped one out for yall to see.
Some of the air-cooled HXs used as oil coolers in automobiles are designed assuming much higher Delta-T than will be found in heat pimps & air conditioners. There is a chance that the water cooled HX that you found may be in a useful range for DIY work... it certainly fits the 'repurposing existing junk' criteria. Let us know what you find out.

BTW, your pix look pretty good, if this is what you get with a dirty lens, I can't wait for the cleaned lens version. Very interesting brazing going on there.

(As an aside, I have been astounded as to the high-quality digital cameras that have been pouring into local Goodwill stores. Just the other day, I picked up a 7 mega-pixel Panasonic, with Leica designed lenses, that is in pristine condition for $12... such a deal!).

Let us know of your experiences, I have a donor gas water heater, waiting patiently in my back yard, for it's second life.

-Best,

-AC_Hacker