View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 02:37 PM   #9
Clev
Wannabe greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
The bedroom is perhaps 150ft², out of the 500ft² of conditioned plus 300ft² semi-conditioned space in my house. I've been thinking about electric, but I would need it to be a thermostatically controlled electric space heater. Also, I do need the furnace to keep the house warm five hours a day, and to keep the house from dropping below freezing while I'm not home. Not that it would drop 30°F in 19 hours, but I do want automated safeguards like a thermostat and a furnace in place.

The furnace is grossly oversized, as is the house, actually. It comes on for less than 15 minutes at a time, probably every few hours this time of year.
I'd definitely want to look at the electric option for the bedroom then. The furnace is probably working extra hard pumping heat only into the bedroom.

I had a couple of weeks where my wife and son were out of town, so I experimented with something similar. I had a small space heater in the bedroom, and turned the furnace down to 40 degrees at night and while I was away, upping it to 65 when I was up and around. The electric heater wasn't thermostatically controlled, but I found that leaving it on a very low setting, coupled with an extra blanket, made things quite comfortable.

I also turned down the water heater to a temperature where I could take 'navy showers' with just the hot water faucet, and moderated the use of the lights to just the room I was occupying.

Both the gas and electric bills for that month were down almost 50%.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote