View Single Post
Old 02-05-16, 12:57 PM   #1842
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_abdeen View Post
I used the calculator on the link, consider total heating degree days 1069c ~= 1924f, and U values from Jordan Building code 2002 Uroof = 1 W/m2.k, Uwall = 1.8 W/m2.k. convert to R then to imperial by divide by 0.176 result in 91K BTU/hr (8 tons).
I can’t see your calculations, but from your comments regarding unit conversion (Imperial, metric, etc) it sounds like you were mindful of the conversion problems.

However, when I look at your results, 8 Tons, it looks to be extraordinarily large, especially for a 1700 ft2 apartment.

Below is a yearly average temperature chart, with average daily highs in red (with statistical variations in various lighter shades), and average daily lows in blue (with statistical variations in various lighter shades). From this chart, it looks like the temperatures you would experience in Amman are fairly mild, never going to freezing, and rarely approaching 100 F. Does this seem like a fair description of the weather you experience?

You should go back over your calculations very carefully, because I suspect there is an error somewhere. I would very roughly estimate that you should require about 2-Tons to 3-Tons (or less).

If you know someone in Amman who has a house similar to yours, you should ask them about their heating/cooling requirements, to see if your calculations are close.

One of the reasons this is all so important is that if you want to do ground source heating and cooling, the amount of ground area will be much larger if your heating/cooling requirements are very large, and smaller if your demand is smaller. So less demand, less cost to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_abdeen View Post
I prefer to enhance insulation first, the problem is walls, and ceiling are almost finished. do you have any recommendation? have you ever heard about supertherm from SPI coating, is it feasible and practical?
The idea of paint on-reflective coating have been discussed with great enthusiasm on our forums, with a few experiments actually being done by our readers, and to date there have been no significantly desirable results noticed.

I don't know if your house has a flat roof, and if you want to have access to it, for instance walk around on it at night. If you had some way to shade the roof, that would be very helpful.

Best regards,

-AC_Hacker