View Single Post
Old 10-10-09, 05:11 PM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Insulation Tests & Reflections...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I just wanted to discuss this and get some info floating around here on it. It has been mentioned a number of times here that fiberglass looses its r-value in cold weather.
About 15 years ago I built a test rig which was incredibly simple... I took a 5 gallon bucket, made a small pedestal upon which my test sample would be placed, and heated to boiling, an aluminum beer can of water.

I placed insulation in question below, and beside the sample.

The test was conducted in my living room, so the temp was always the same.

I would place the sample into the test rig, put a thermocouple in the water, place insulation over the sample, put on a lid with holes (there were also holes in the bottom of the bucket) and take data at regular intervals, for an hour.

I had no way to quantify the materials, but I could get a ranking of materials
when I plotted the heat loss data.

The ranking agreed with the study you cite.

Cellulose = best

Fiberglass = middle

Styrofoam peanuts = worst (recycling maniac = me)

However, when I mixed small-particle styrofoam chunks in with the peanuts to fill the voids, it ranked with cellulose. So yes, air migration was the villian.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

There's also an R-value creep regarding polyurethane foam, if compared to expanded poly-styrene. Funny, the study didn't mention that in the study. Possibly it's because they (Foam-Tech) sell the polyurethane foam.

The polyurethane foam has a higher initial R-value (and cost) but over time (15 years or so) it's R-value falls, because it takes up moisture, to about the R-value level of EPS (expanded poly-styrene).

So initially, polyurethane foam is the R-value winner, but over time, EPS becomes the 'R-value per dollar' winner.

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-11-09 at 03:05 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote