View Single Post
Old 05-11-13, 06:13 AM   #3
jlaw
Learning to save

Upon intitial investigation of the system without actually crunching numbers I determined that, at my current favorable power rate, that the pay back would be too long. During the winter months, since I have fossil fuel backup, I get the power used on the heat pump at half the normal cost per KWH.

In the summer when I am paying full rate is when I need more help. I have also considered buying and old ac or heat pump unit and removing the condenser coils and wrapping them around the outside of my current unit. Using these coils with water circulating from the stream to pre cool the air entering my existing condenser coils. I thought this would be an inexpensive way to lower the incoming air temp during hot weather at a minimal cost.

Just a thought rumbling around in my head. As usual though I will think on it longer than it would take to implement. The water is free and the pex tubing would be cheap, I all ready have a small pump and for the trial I would not bury the pipe. Not sure what the cost of an old unit large enough for the job.

But then we digress from the original posters question. We can save this for a new post when I undertake the implementation.

Thanks for the input and I hope the info on the thermostat and use of a propane unit with a heat pump has helped the poster with his decision.
jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote