View Single Post
Old 11-10-09, 04:36 PM   #2
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I don't bother with fancy, expensive composters, I just sheet compost in the paths between the beds and then dig them out every year or two to transfer the newly created humus to the adjacent bed. No need to transport wheelbarrow loads of leaves/manure to and compost from a distant composting bin to revitalize a bed and the vegetable's roots can sneak under the paths at access the compost before I get around to spreading it on the beds. Plus the price of the composter is right (free). Sheet composting may not work in all climates, but works fine in the hot humid South, and mimics what happens with fallen leaves and stems in nature. Mixing leaves with manure in a big pile and turning it over from time to time to aid hot composting is not something you would see occurring in nature, the closest approach would be the leaf mounds created by malleefowls and the alligators to incubate their eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote