View Single Post
Old 11-03-14, 11:44 PM   #1
F357
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Turning a window unit into a mini split?

I have an office I am trying to build an approximately 10k BTU heat pump for. I've been wanting to do a simple backwards air conditioner, but I'm running into more problems than I would like in my test. I'll need to break open the refrigerant circuit to make it do what I really want...

So, I've been thinking homemade mini split. It would be nice if I could mount the compressor outside of my office, I notice the back side of the air conditioner makes a lot more noise than the front!

I'm thinking I could take a 10K BTU window unit, and plumb both evaporator and condenser in parallel. Then run a line set into my office where I would build an indoor unit with an evaporator and a fan. Hopefully it would be more efficient due to having a larger outside coil. The original window unit fan would blow on both coils.

Is this something that might work? How far would I be able to extend the lines between inside/outside units, and what size would I use? The "outdoor" unit is actually going inside a shop area, so it doesn't need to be weather proof.

F357 is offline   Reply With Quote