View Single Post
Old 01-02-14, 06:20 PM   #50
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiesche View Post
Missed your point on the styrofoam! I didn't know there was EPS that was able to take the load of an entire floor on top, that's certainly a great idea.
Yeah, it's been the quest for the holy grail for me. I used some Dow Corning XPS in the wall of my kitchen called Formular 150... sounds like it would be 150 psi, but no, its 15 psi. Then I found some stuff called HILOAD 50 that is actually 50 psi, and I think it can work. I found some here in town and it's 2" thick ($75 for 4'x8'x2"), so that means I'll have to slice it into many 3/4" strips. We do have to suffer for our obsessions.

Quote:
In the end, you'll obviously want to have as much R below and as little as possible above the loops, and foam directly under the loops should be pretty awesome.
That's my plan. The foam will give me about R4 below... and then I'll go after the under floor insulation, too.

Quote:
Are you planning on putting hardwood floor on top of it? What sort of underlayment were you thinking of?
I'm gonna put linoleum on top of the floor... But before I pull out my cash, I'm going to investigate sheet steel.

Above the plates, I've decided to go with Hardy-board, its a concrete & paper manufactured material. I've done some comparative thermal tests, and it is better than wood. However, if there wasn't a dissimilar-metal issue, I'd be tempted to put steel right on top of the plates. Now there's some low-R material.

I've been watching some wacky UK remodeling videos and it's making me think all kinds of crazy thoughts!

Your work with the RaspberryPi could come in very handy.

-AC