View Single Post
Old 10-24-18, 04:03 AM   #8
phreich
Avid DIY GSHP novitiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How do they deal with voltage fluctuations?

I have seen complaints that cheap LEDs will turn off when something big starts up.
Hi,

During my testing of these LED COB floodlights, I found that most of them are using constant current based LED drivers that run on almost any AC voltage from 100v to 240v AC. So I doubt that these would skip a beat if the voltage fluctuated. One of the problems I found was that some of the Chinese manufacturers put in a driver that outputs 30 watts at 240 volts AC, but only puts out about 20 watts at 120 volts AC. The LEDs don't flicker or do anything really unusual, but they are underpowered, and so have a reduction in the lumens they output. I suppose the only benefit is that the LED chips would last a LONG time due to this under-driving.

This is why I tested each floodlight I bought with a kill-a-watt meter to verify that the light that was rated at 30 watts was actually drawing 30 watts.

I did note that some of the floodlights had a really bad power factor, but this doesn't really mean anything to residential users because, as I understand it, the residential electric meters used in North America don't register the power lost due to a device's bad power factor, so this doesn't affect our residential electric bills.

I hope this helps answer your question,

Philip
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote