View Single Post
Old 11-27-11, 02:12 PM   #12
S-F
You Ain't Me

At some point in the not too distant future it's going to start making financial sense to gut renovate deep energy retrofit most of the houses out there due to rising fuel costs and awareness of the increased comfort in a good house. Even the ones built in the recent past. It's all due to poor builders.

A good Robert Riversong quote:

"You made the building code. Good. You get a D not an F."

I'm at my mothers house today stacking wood for her and cleaning the gutters. She has had the entire house gone through by a contractor over the past 20 or so years. She has also put on 3 additions. The house sucks. It's freezing cold unless you rock the wood stove and then its too hot and only in 1 room. The ice dams were out of control last winter. After repairing the damage the contractor had the bright idea of solving the ice dams with electric resistance heat on the roof. WTF? Solving the problems caused by squandering energy by squandering more energy. So American. I wonder if you can get those heating wires covered in baby seal skin or rhino hide or something. I can't believe the building inspector gave this garbage the OK.

Last edited by S-F; 11-27-11 at 02:17 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
philb (12-01-11)