View Single Post
Old 10-17-10, 02:12 PM   #317
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Vlad, good to hear your progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Finally I finished building my rig. I had to change a lot of things. First I raised it up , added small wheels to move the whole thing around. After first test I noticed that I did not need too much pressure for hydraulic system because of this I switched back to electric motor (less smell and less noise). I was impressed how the rig was drilling.
Vlad,

Good to hear your progress...

Your drilling rig sounds impressive. I sure would like to see some pictures of what you built.

I like the idea of going electric. Of course you understand the trade-offs of working with electricity in a wet environment. I was only using 120 volts, I assume you're using 240 volts. I made sure that I had a ground fault interuptor (AKA: GFI) where my power came from the house. The only time I got any kind of shock was when my GFI was repeatedly tripping and I assumed it was not working, so I by-passed the GFI. I wasn't very smart, I should have found the source of the short (it was water damage) and fixed it. Is there any way to have GFI for 240 volts?

But being able to get down 60 feet is very impressive!

Here is a diagram from the IGSHPA manual (CLGS Installation Guide #21020)

So you can see that the steady-state temperatures that you are seeking, begin at 12 to 20 foot deep.

Quote:
I want to drill 6 holes each 100-120’ deep and I want to make it for sure.
So if you were previously going for 6 x 120 = 720 feet...

...with the new depth of 60 feet, you'd need 12 holes...

...but since the temperatures are more stable the deeper you go, you will probably need more than 12 holes to achieve the same effect as your initial design...

...I don't know exactly, but my best guess is that you would need at least 15 holes at 60 feet deep.

Good idea to stop working on the boreholes in the wet and cold. In addition to electrical hazard there is the added hazard of slower than normal reaction time in cold temperatures. I had this problem too.

Best regards,

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 10-18-10 at 12:48 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote