View Single Post
Old 10-16-10, 02:06 AM   #315
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default First drilling experience

Finally I finished building my rig. I had to change a lot of things. First I raised it up , added small wheels to move the whole thing around. After first test I noticed that I did not need too much pressure for hydraulic system because of this I switched back to electric motor (less smell and less noise). I was impressed how the rig was drilling. The first issue came at about 30-40 feet. I had to add extra 2000 lb of weight and add winch (just manual one) to pull drilling head down. At 50-55 feet I got solid rock. The trycone bit was doing OK but it took time. At 65 feet I decided to try another hole just to make sure. I got the same solid rock (I went through 10-15 feet of it). The rig was doing well but it takes too much time. I decided do drill all holes 60-65 feet instead of fighting solid rock. I put first u-tubes in the hole put 1 ¼ tube with them to pump grout in the hole. Here I realized I could not pump grout. My pump gave up. Now I need to find solution for pimping grout. Another (the major) problem is weather. Summer is over we are getting rain every 2-3 days. It makes it impossible to continue now. I decided to postpone the project until next spring. I will get rest of things together find grout pump and start it over when weather is good (I guess it will be next spring). At this point for me there is no point fight mud and dirt. I still have a lot of things to finish inside the house.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote