View Single Post
Old 07-20-09, 10:38 AM   #75
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default ...the very idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jim Bissel View Post
You're very blessed to be in a rock-free area; Hardly anybody has basements around here (DFW TX) because the rock layer is so close to the surface.
You are quite right, in that I am using any favorable aspect of local conditions to my advantage.

However, my initial plan was to drill one to four holes to get the low-grade heat I need to heat my house. I soon learned that well drillers in the Portland area must contend with soil that largely consists of very hard cobbles (bigger than gravel, smaller than bricks) and stones (bigger than cobbles, smaller than automobiles) and boulders (bigger than automobiles). These things are very hard and withstood the horrendous abrasive forces of glacial advance and then the grinding action of debris in the bottom of a river that was far larger and incredibly more turbulent than anything that exists on the earth today. So believe me when I tell you these things are tough, really tough. The well drillers I have talked to tell me that drilling through solid rock is actually easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jim Bissel View Post
Hand or diy drilling wouldn't even be an option.
Beings as how my mother's family is from East Texas, and since they were able to survive Indian attacks, biblical floods, drought, lightning strikes, tornadoes, federal agents, rattle snakes, copperheads, water moccasins, scorpions, stingarees, vinagroles, ticks, chiggers and ill-tempered neighbors. And also, since I spent part of my formative years (more correctly de-formative years) in Texas, and since Texas is really like a tattoo, in that no matter where you go or what you do, it will never really go away, I think I know a thing or two about Texans.

To tell a Texan that something is "not even an option" is to throw down the most formidable possible challenge...

Even from up here in Oregon, I can hear the pounding of hammers, the whine of metal saws and the hiss of arc welders in garage shops all over the Dallas / Fort Worth area, as enraged Texans are planning their revenge to prove you wrong.

Here's 4880 hits fromthe Fort worth area:
DIY well drilling fort worth texas - Google Search

Here's 15,300 hits from the Dallas area:
DIY well drilling dallas texas - Google Search

And if you really want to know, here is the very URL that started my galactic quest to build a homemade heat pump:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/52899

Don't ever tell a Texan that something isn't even an option...the very idea!

Best Regards,

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-20-09 at 10:52 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
SeagoSteve (11-04-15)