View Single Post
Old 09-07-12, 10:22 AM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Mikesolar,

This low temperature floor heating information is really great in many respects. Since it is wandering a bit off topic for a Dual compressor heat pump thread, but is especially relevant information for the DIY Hydronic Floor Heating thread, perhaps you could copy your response to THIS LOCATION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
There is a move to SCOP over COP because we should be looking at annual bills for the real indicators.
Very interesting... I take it that SCOP is Seasonal Coefficient Of Perfromance? It does make sense that this would be a more useful measure of performance.

Quote:
With the use of an outdoor reset mixing valve on the floor heating, we can often keep the temp to 24 -28C at milder temps which, with the right HP, could give a COP or 4 or better.

I must admit that I have never heard of an outdoor reset mixing valve before. I just googled the term and came up with THIS USEFUL PDF DOCUMENT.

It would be very helpful if youu could go into a little more detail regarding the rationale and function of this type of valve.

Quote:
My friends in europe are putting tubing at 100mm(4") in many cases which until a few years ago I would only do in a sunroom. Now I do it most places. Tubing is a cheap one time cost.
OK, this kind of information has been very hard for me to find but I knew it was being practiced... so I really want to know more...

I certainly see the reason behind why such close spacing is being used, my questions here, regard gaining a full understanding of how it is being done, specifically:
  • How to cope with bend radius problems
  • What diameter tubing is being used in these installations
  • What flow rate is regarded as optimal in these installations
  • What are the details if construction for such floors? (poured/not poured?, built up?, the use of high-conductivity materials?, etc)

Lastly, it is very interesting that you are living in Toronto, where your average Heating Degree Days (F) = 7223 (assuming a base temperature of 68 degrees F) or Heating Degree Days (C) = 4010 (assuming a base temperature of 68 degrees C), that folks are successfully using ASHPs.

Many of our readers live in HDD-challenged areas and have a great interest in ASHPs.

Best,

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-07-12 at 10:45 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote