View Single Post
Old 06-27-10, 08:36 PM   #63
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

You are frightening me, I built at least 600 small wind turbines in the early 1980's and hundreds of aircraft props at that time.
Your hub is disastrously thin, you might be able to make another plate to go in front of the blades, this may help. You can balance the blade array by suspending it by a fishing line fastened at the center of the hub (you will need to make an insert) hang the blade in a closed room and it should balance perfectly, we used to balance our props both lengthwise and chordwise so that a cigarette paper would upset it. You need to get the turbine well above the barn roof, or it will be in turbulent air, the roof is a major wind deflector, you need clean air. The prop is potentially very dangerous, it should spin at a high rate of speed, I have tested such hubs to destruction and the blades can be lethal and will travel hundreds of feet if they break loose. It is awsome to see, one come apart.
I will talk to you more if you are interested, but right now it is dinner time.
Please be careful and don't hurt yourself or anyone else. I just found this today or would have put in my $.02 sooner.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote