View Single Post
Old 09-20-09, 09:59 PM   #7
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

tilted chunks of wood will work for very low speed wind and the way the wind will make it spin is by pushing the blades out of the way... the only way they can move is around in a circle so they will move that way.
if you make your blades in to an air foil then your blades are air foils and fallow the same rules as wings fallow, their movement is based the same rules that create lift on a wing, I can't tell you if it is going to be 5 times more efficient or 30 times more efficient, but it's going to be many times better, not "a little better" check out Welcome to OTHERPOWER.COM because their home made stuff works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
So I kind of wonder if there is any efficiency difference with bullet-nose cones in the middle of a turbine, etc... I also wonder if the airfoil design is really that much more efficient than just using a tilted blade at a fixed angle?

By "that much more efficient" I mean: Should I go out and buy a 3 blade plane prop to make a windmill, or should I just make 3 sticks from old boards with tapered edges and a fixed pitch to the wind?
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote