View Single Post
Old 06-10-13, 09:52 PM   #14
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Since our home is also our offices and we are on a time-of use electric plan, we generally keep the house 74-77 for a comfortable working temp, but also precool the house weekdays to 71 starting around 9am, then set at 77 at 3pm. That usually keeps the A/C from coming on again on all but the hottest days until at least 7pm.

Our new Nordyne (Tappan) 23 SEER A/C has never taken more than 15kwh in a day over our baseload even set on "meat locker" with a 40 person party most of the day, and the usual is around 10kwh/day. Even conditioning the garage (my office) and the basement, that is less than 1/4 what the old builder grade stuff took. It also has a humidity control mode, so it maintains a perfect 47-52% RH any time it is on(most of the daylight hours at ultra-low speed), even when it is consistently 85%+ during a straight week of rainy, humid weather.