View Single Post
Old 04-24-11, 03:45 PM   #41
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoltsch View Post
...would anyone recommend or not recommend a particular brand?

What I mean is, if you had to do it all over again, would you buy a Mitsubishi, LG, Sanyo or Shinco again?

Ron,

Thanks for dropping in...

I installed a Sanyo 9000 BTU mini-split at my place and I haven't had any problems at all.

There is the vacuuming down part of the install, but almost all of the units require that. Harbor freight sells a couple of HVAC vacuum pumps that don't cost too much (I bought the 2-stage model, $160 for myself... works good. If I was a pro and was doing this kind of thing for a living, I'd invest some bucks $600 in one that could stand up to relentless punishment). If you don't have a micron gauge, but you have a new vac pump and have done everything correctly, let the pump run for a couple of hours, to be certain. If you are using a used or unknown pump, you should use a micron gauge.

But getting back to your question, if I was doing it over again, I'd get a Fujitsu Halcyon 9RLS (9,000 BTU) or 12RLS (12,000 BTU), because they are the most efficient to run.

One thing I didn't quit appreciate is that most sales people just want to talk about the SEER rating, which is the most appropriate rating when buying an air conditioner. If you are buying your mini-split primarily for home heating, as I was, then the Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (AKA: HSPF) is the most important figure to you. You might have to do a bit of digging to find out the HSPF, but that's what you're after. Higher is better.

There are a few models that advertise that no pump-down is required, because they use special connectors. I have no experience with these models, I also don't know what the efficiency rating is.

The parts you'll need are:
  • Mini-Split outside unit
  • Mini-Split inside unit
  • Line set to connect inside to outside
  • Disconnect box located at the outside unit
  • Remote Control
  • Thru-Wall adapter (or what ever they call it)
... make sure you are getting all this stuff. Some shysters leave some of these parts out and sell them separate at inflated prices. Dont' be fooled.

You'll still need to supply:
  • Dedicated breaker of the correct amp rating for your mini-split
  • Correctly-sized electrical wire to run from breaker-box to mini-split
  • Concrete pad (or equivalent) to bolt outside unit to.

-AC_Hacker

As far as I can tell,

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-24-11 at 03:51 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote