View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 03:41 PM   #1
dcceb
Lurking Renovator

Default Hello from middle Georgia east of Atlanta

Hi Everyone,
I came across this forum reading about fresh air/heat exchangers. I was impressed when the thread I was reading that was started in 2010 was still being updated. That's some good commitment!

I'm researching for the house I want to build. I've made a plan I like that is approximately 1000 square feet, and I'm working on a plan for later addition. I'm trying to plan ahead now so the addition later will make sense with the current plan. A house that can I can grow into as needed.

I'd like it to be as energy efficient and as good for the environment as it can be(while still meeting my needs and wants).

I've got 2 acres of rural Georgia red clay that are paid for zoned agricultural/residential. The lot is a rectangle with 210' of frontage on a US hwy, 420 feet deep. There is good water available about 40' down and none of the neighbors have hit obstacles while drilling their wells.

I think I've decided on a slab foundation(still evaluating radiant heat in the floor) and Stabilized Compressed Earth Block exterior and interior walls, metal roof with steel trusses(I'm trying to go as fireproof as I can also), solar heat, hot water, and some(if not all) solar electricity.

I plan on documenting the process and will share the adventure with y'all. Hopefully this will be happening this year!

I'd love to hear from anyone that has done something similar or from anyone regarding improvements I could make.

dcceb is offline   Reply With Quote