View Single Post
Old 08-31-13, 09:32 AM   #19
SimpleManLance
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
the "must have big engine and auto tranny" mentality

It might not be what the public is demanding. What it might be, is lazy car makers marketing.
They ask:
What kind of car do Car people buy? (People who buy new cars every two or three years).
Can we keep increasing the price on this type of car, for higher profits?
Can this type of car also be used as an idiot proof rental car?

When I look at the MPGs on some of these new cars, I wonder if only rich people are buying them.?.
Then it came to me.. People who buy cars for their looks/fashion statement, really don't give a lot of consideration to costs.

I know why my kid has a BMW XDrive. It's the coolest lookin ride that can climb the steep hills at her home.
No Subaru or Toyota AWD for her!

Its all about the image of having "money".

I am however surprised at how many GM employees are driving junker gas savers or a new volt to work everyday. But GMPG(which is in BFE acording to the city folk) has a lot of people coming from the other GM buildings in the city to the proving grounds to do their testing. So they commute a lot.

When someone says they have a volt everyone is always surprised. They ask how do you you like it, which everyone ive talked to replys with"i love it". its kinda the same thing when someone owns the new corvette there.

Two cars on the opposite end of the spectrum getting the same responses from the same people. I think they would like to own a volt but they don't think it is practical for them.