View Single Post
Old 04-11-09, 08:45 AM   #21
Homeless
Helper EcoRenovator

You guys are right - the fridge will use the same amount of power whether turned upright or laying down. ( DUHHHH right ? )
The only benefit of a lay down setup being if you open your frige doors quite often.

The full sized fridge was driving me crazy with it's loud noise and constant heat. I also noticed that it has consumed over 3.5 kWh in just the last two days.
Therefore, I moved all the food back and have begun using the compact again.
Just out of boredom, I threw some blankets on the fridge.

Very encouraging.

The thing is around four feet from me, yet I did not even notice the compressor had turned on. It is so quiet that I thought that I was hearing my neighbors fridge through the wall.

( I kept the back side uncovered and the blankets are away from any heat source.)

Right away, I noticed that the fridge had taken around twenty minutes to cycle, versus the fifteen before. This is with me opening the door twice .

So - change of plan. I'm not going to convert this thing to a chest fridge, but rather just insulate the living crap out of it.
I'm also going to just take a thick piece of metal and bend it around the compressor to form a heat shield.

Homeless is offline   Reply With Quote