View Single Post
Old 03-04-20, 10:08 AM   #10
gadget
Helper EcoRenovator

I ran some calculations on my battery banks. I have a large 12v and a large 24v. With my 12v bank, I could run 2,000 watts with a 5 amp draw per battery. My 24v would be about 2-3amps per battery at that rate. So I may be able to run the heat pumps more off solar then I was planning at night. I have a good source for free batteries so I don't mind wearing them out.

I also have a slow RPM stationary diesel generator that I was planning on running at night. It will be co-gen and runs off any oil source. Its an 8/1 lister clone if your familiar with those. It will have a 12v alt and a 24v alt for keeping the batteries topped off. I could put a belt drive compressor and heat pump directly. I will also be getting tons of waste heat from the motor. The motor will also be running a large 240v split phase genhead (stamford clone) the can run the heat pumps via AC power. Its an 8kw head but I can get a little over 4kw out of it on this motor if noting else is running.

Ideally I would only use the generator for backup so as to not wear it out though they are designed to be ran and rebuilt and ran...etc

I have about 8.3kw of solar panels that are not yet in use. That I have been collecting for a while now. Not all are going up on the roof. I may keep about 3-4kw that I put out on my back lawn for winter time use running a heat pump.

I also am putting up some solar thermal collectors on the side of my garage. I'm hoping to get about 200-250 sq ft of area.

The one area I am lacking in is a large thermal storage. Just don't have the space. Guess its time to move and get some land.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote