View Single Post
Old 02-23-16, 02:04 AM   #10
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Why would you want to use super expensive lithium batteries?
Lead acid is cheaper and they can be recycled (unlike lithium).
Why not just go grid tie and save your self a few thousand dollars?
Because even if the used lithium batteries were 25-30% depleted from new they would still have more cycle life than new lead acid batteries. Again, I would repurpose used cells at approximately $100/kwh. You can just barely buy new lead acid for that price and used lead acid will have no where near the life expectancy as most lithium batteries. Additionally the lithiums weigh half as much and take up less storage area.

Not sure where you get the idea that lithium batteries can't be recycled. the articles I read say they can. I will give you that there aren't a lot of lithium recycling plants yet since massive production is still in its infancy, but that will come around.

As for the grid tie, were I to start this project, I would no longer wish to be attached to any power company. That's a personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Nope not even close.
Per kilowatt hour of production your car is far worse all around than all but the worse coal burning plants found in china.
Once you average in the states cleaner sources such as nuclear, wind power, hydro electric and natural gas, its no contest.
Ah, I was making a guess. You appear to be stating fact. Could you provide sources to check those facts.?

Thanks,
JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote