View Single Post
Old 06-15-14, 08:18 AM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The showerhead is a chrome colored plastic. It's not one of the rubber 'rub out the hard water scale' type showerheads. The orifices are fixed rather than the adjustable type that could get messed up the moment someone adjusts it which is why I think this could work out. I like it because I've managed to take 2 gallon shower with this and it flows a gallon every minute and 13 seconds or so. So basically I get 2 minutes and 26 seconds or so to 2 gallons. Since I've got a long run of 1/2" copper, it takes a gallon of water before it gets hot so I catch the first gallon into a gallon sized jug through the spout for the bath tub and pull the shower head knob. I use that first gallon to flush the toilet. I've managed to get my daily water usage down to about 8 gallons per day for the past week with showers, toilet flushing, and hand washing. More water on days that I use the dishwasher, wash the counter, clean things, or wash clothes of course but I wash clothes with cold water and the dishwasher uses 5.8 gallons of hot water. I'm not counting garden watering as that's all cold but my water softener allows me to exclude that usage as it counts the gallons that runs through it and the outdoor faucet bypasses the water softner.

I don't mind using the water but at this point I've gotten the hot water usage down to where I've been using just the heat from the pilot light of the water heater for all of my usage since the beginning of the month, which amounts to 4 therms a month when I did this 2 years ago but the house was hotter(above 80) then so the tank had less standby losses and the copper pipes lost less heat along the way too. Now I'm doing the same while the basement is under 70 degrees and the rest of the house usually in the low 70's. I've got as much of the hot pipe insulated as I could but some is behind drywall and isn't accessible.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 06-15-14 at 08:31 AM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote