View Single Post
Old 02-16-11, 08:54 AM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
have you caulked where your foundation and sill plate meets? What kind of positive results have you seen? Inquiring minds want to know.
I did a number of rounds of sealing between the foundation and wall, I have a half basement with crawl spaces so first round I did was just filling in spaces that I could see light or feel a draft from the inside, sealed them with expanding foam, then I crawled around the outside and filled every gap I could find as well, we hired out to have our sill boxes sealed but there were still cracks and gaps that causes cold spots in the floor so at that point I took the can of foam inside the living space, pulled off the shoe molding (quarter round on the base board) and drilled small holes where there were cold spots and shot foam in them, the change was almost instant, within half an hour or so the floor that had been cold was warm.
My room mate has had a broken foot all winter so it's hard to get a good reading as she has kept the temp up a little higher but our natural gas use so far has been at least 18% less, I should be getting another bill in the next few days and have a more accurate number.
I personally like the warmer floors and find it worth it just for that even if there was no cost savings.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote