View Single Post
Old 09-25-17, 09:04 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Wood pellet, heat pump, propane, wood stove versus natural gas

Natural gas is cheapest. But comes with a service charge.
For example during the warmer months I will use about $5 worth of natural gas per month, but get about a $25 to $30 service charge.
So I get stuck spending about $30 for around 1,000,000 btu.
During the summer most of that 1Mbtu is used for water heating, but water heating will be taken care of by the heat pump water heater which I have a ready bought but not yet installed.

Propane is just about the most expensive way to heat so I would use that sparingly. For cooking, that would be about it. We use the stove about 2 or 3 times a week, the oven, maybe twice a year. We have been using the stove more, eventually will use it just about daily.

Wood pellets are pretty cheap, cheaper than propane for sure, but about double the price of natural gas per btu, but wood pellets don't have a sercharge.

The gas surcharge will be up $350 per year. (I hear gas service charge is a little more expensive where we are moving)
The surcharge alone would pay for almost 60 bags of wood pellets. I know I'm not going to use any where near 60 bags of wood pellets. My parents in Maine use about one 40lb bag about every 2 days.

What do you think?

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote