View Single Post
Old 06-13-18, 08:03 PM   #692
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
Well the good thing is that micro inverters have dropped in price quite a bit so having a spare on hand isnt a big deal. I remember them being around $150 and I just looked up the price on a 215 and its $57 now and less if you buy more.

That said are the benefits of micro inverters still worth the extra cost considering the failure rate as well. The sunny boy string inverters seem to keep chugging along for years.
The one microinverter that has failed cost me $137 new in 2012. The 22 I have in a boxes to my left cost me $27 each (last month). My roof has shading issues from a royal palm in my neighbor's yard. The microinverters work perfectly for my application, since I don't have to dedicate garage space to mount a string inverter, or run high current DC cabling from the second floor roof down to a string inverter. I have a double run of 10/3+Gnd UF running from my second floor down to my combiner panel.

My ground mount will have shading issues as well, so unless I get permission to cut down the neighbor's trees... I'm in for $540 worth of Enphase M215's. I don't think I can touch a 4.5kw SunnyBoy and 20 SolarEdge Optimizers for $540.

Back on the subject of rebooting my misbehaving M215, I'll have to do that tomorrow evening. I neglected to attempt to reset it until after it had already gone to sleep for the night. I head out the door to work before the sun wakes the system up.

Looking at the input power graphs for this unit, the voltage readings are normal, the current readings are down at 0.210A or less.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote