View Single Post
Old 10-21-15, 12:22 AM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
I am thinking about getting into arduino, it looks very interesting to tinker with as well as save some money over off the shelf products.
Yes, you're right about that. And what with winter coming on up in your neck of the woods, it's a perfect time to hunker down and learn a new skill.

Quote:
I also like the idea of being able to tailor it to my uses. Seems like quite a few people on here are into it so thought I'd ask. As far as the wiring/sensors/etc go I feel I would be very comfortable with it as I'm an automotive tech and work with many types of sensors, actuators, wiring issues every day and am quite at home with it.
I can't think of a better book that this one:

Getting Started With Arduino

Quote:
The thing that's all new to me is the programming. How do most go about learning it? Are many of you employed in that type of area or just learn as a hobby? What's the best way to learn?
I think the book will be just what you want.

Maybe a starter kit would be good, because the you'd have most of what you need to get started.

As I recall, the book will take you through several small steps, and each step will introduce another of the Arduino's possibilities, and a little bit of programming to go with it.

Later, you may need a proto-board to connect stuff together without needing to solder.

And some jumper wire to help

Quote:
Just buy a beginner kit and start following tutorials? Is any decent sized beginners kit a good place to start? Are other brands practically the same or is genuine arduino better? Thanks
Yes, that is just about how it is done.

I have used the very cheapest Chinese Arduino I could find ($6, free postage), and it worked exactly as well as any other. The chip on the board will be identical.

The Internet will give you load of information. You are lucky, because there are more people working with Arduinos on the Planet Earth than any other microcontroller.

I don't know about your area, but thee are probably Arduino User Groups in your town.

Be prepared to be educated by children... it can be a humbling experience... ask me how I know!

Good luck, you are embarking on a lot of fun.

And you have already started a thread on your Arduino Odyssey.

Take lots of photos, you already have friends right here.

Best,

-AC
mechanic (10-21-15)