View Single Post
Old 08-23-15, 01:25 PM   #1
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Solar water pump

Built a solar water system a few days ago to replace my old homemade windmill which was unreliable, trouble prone, and didn't pump much. Bought a 150w solar panel ($310) and a Morningstar charge controller ($85). Hooked it up to an old battery someone dropped off for a core and mounted a shurflo sprayer pump I had sitting on the shelf. Ordered a $7 12v timer from amazon but for now I'm just turning the pump on in the morning and shutting it off at night. So far the battery indicator has stayed on full. It's pumping about 30gal an hour with a 20' rise and 200 yard run. Very happy with it so far! Wish I would of done this a long time ago....
Fabbed a adjustable tilt bracket with some square tubing and angle iron and mounted it to a couple old 2x6's

Mounted it about 5' from my well

Built a cover for the electronics and mounted a small screen in the pump intake and a swing valve on the output

Pumps through 3/4 sprinkle line to my 1250 gal rain barrel. A pressure system with another larger screen/filter on the barrel feeds the yard sprinklers and garden hoses

mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mechanic For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (08-23-15)