View Single Post
Old 06-17-16, 03:54 PM   #57
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
Rob, I used tape drive motors which are no longer available in any quantity, and the manufacturers would not make them for me because of liability.
We enclosed them in stainless housing with tapered stanchions for the mounting.

Be careful with 8ft blades I made a 7ft blade out of a 2X6 clear doug fir, I cut it away near the hub to get a nice steep angle for starting, with about a 1/2 degree washout at the tip. The tip chord was about 3" and about 3/8" thick. you must taper the trailing edge to be sharp, or it will moan and the neighbors will moan almost as loudly. An 8' blade is not trivial, be careful.'
Thanks,
Yes, I know I've built windmills, I see these people who never built a mill thinking they're going to built 20 footers. Yikes, that's a lot of mill!

I wind my own motors from old AC motor cores that I get at the local motor rebuilding shop. They saved me a 5HP one that will work great for my microhydro and my mills. I don't especially like the flux core alternators. They're OK if you don't have a machine shop like I do but they have inherent problems.

Noise isn't a problem, my nearest neighbor lives about 1/4 mile away. That's one of the bennies of living out in the county, I can do just about anything I want and no one gripes.

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote