View Single Post
Old 01-19-14, 06:34 PM   #17
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
We're in an decent wind area, Oklahoma of all places. Yeah, some of the highest winds on record have been recorded in Oklahoma. Yellow on the map linked above, not as strong as out in Western Oklahoma where all the windmill farms are though. Wind speed at time of posting 20mph/26gust which isn't out of the ordinary.

Not sure I'm ready to bite on a Windmill though even if considering are on top of a hill (TV towers less than 1/4 mile from us). Solar is a no-go due to the frequent hail storms in our area. Something to keep in mind, areas with consistent high winds are also subject to severe weather.
I've seen some pretty big stuff hit modules. I wouldn't be especially worried about hail especially if you tilt the modules when the weather predicts it. Modules are made tough, I've seen mine rock in 40 mph winds with no bad results or even a couple of feet of snow and ice on them. If you're worried about high winds mount the modules in a single row lower to the ground in short runs and fix the angle optimally for your area. Another trick I use is to leave a small gap between each module (3 or 4") to reduce the surface area the wind hits.
If you're getting 10 m/s wind speeds consistently then you should seriously consider the windmill option.

rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote