View Single Post
Old 03-01-13, 10:04 AM   #399
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladijs View Post
...A choice that keeps me awake at night is whether the benefit of having both fans on the "hot" side of the core makes up for the inconvenience that for the fan blowing air into the core is "centralised", I you catch my drift, blowing very strongly into a narrow area. In stead, I could have both fans sucking air out of the core, which would distribute the pressure more evenly... but then I have to place on of them on the cold humid side, which the fan won't like too much. Am I exagerating these concerns? Perhaps that is simply a disadvantage of axial fans which I did not consider. I am installing this in a close space, there is no way to get the fan installed further away from the core....
Regarding your concern for fans, here are some links to a kind of centrifugal fan, similar to the type that I have acquired for the HRV that I am currently assembling parts for.

Link #1

Link #2

Axial computer fans are a wonderful bargain because they are manufactured in such huge quantities. These are more expensive that axial computer fans, but they are quite efficient. The feature that they have that might interest you is that the air-stream is diffuse and exits in a 360 degree pattern, so your HX cores would have an even and non-directed air flow.

To use the fan, a well-fitted round shroud will need to be fabricated and the fan mounted close to, but not touching the shroud.

I searched for a long time to find these fans at a reasonable cost. You might have a better chance to find them in Europe. You might be able to find these being used in large computer installations, so look to computer scrap.

Best,

-AC