View Single Post
Old 01-16-12, 07:35 AM   #25
Bosco
Lurking Renovator

Default Overlooking the obvious

Even though I am nearly in my 7th decade, I still sometimes overlook the obvious!

When I initially designed my system, I automatically assumed that the azimuth drive would be through the pinion input of the differental.

Since the system's physical inception I have had problems with chain and sprocket systems and reduction gearbox systems. Everything seemed to break. I was at my wit's end and ordered a toothed pulley and belt system - which is presently sitting on my desk.....

In the middle of the night it occurred to me that there was no need to drive the system through the pinion as there were three outrigger wheels in contact with the concrete track and that I could input the drive to any one of them! Additionally, it obviated the need for the hydraulic dampers, of which I was so proud, as the tyre was in contact with the concrete track and the friction drive motor roller would stop it moving when the motor was not running.

Next day I turned a 38mm (one inch and a half) roller which I attached to the output of a standard 12 volt car windscreen wiper motor and bolted it in a position where it pressed on one of the outrigger wheels. I welded some ridges onto the cylinder for better traction. It seems to be working quite well. If there is a physical obstruction, then maybe the battery will run flat and\or the roller will wear a hole in the tyre, but nothing will break! I will post a picture of it sometime soon.

As far as winterising my system is concerned, I am indebted to a post regarding the use of outdoor floodlight housings to contain sensors. Today I mounted two such units and they seem to be working as planned.

A year on from it's inception, this project has done wonders for my thinking capacities, my physicality and my enjoyment of achievement, to say nothing of the interraction it has created between myself and many others!
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote