View Single Post
Old 03-02-14, 10:55 PM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
...Now all I have to do is decide how I want to install the ground loops. I know a guy at work that has a friend that has a drill rig that they have used to install there own geo systems. Or I can do slinky loops as I have the yard to do it in. And I think my uncle has a backhoe...
You are pretty lucky to not only have a bargain GSHP, but friends with heavy equipment to do either holes or trenches!

Vertical holes are harder to do because of the drilling, the layers of rocks you may encounter, and also the grouting. But because boreholes go deeper, they are less affected by seasonal temperature variations, which is important. In short, boreholes should be more efficient.

Trenches and slinkys or trenches and straight pipe are much easier to do if you have the space and they do work well. Somewhat less efficient, but much easier to do.

You should ask the locals about how much bore hole is required for a ton, or how much slinky is required. It varies from area to area, so local lore should be more reliable.

If it were me, I'd find out how much loop field is needed to meet the rated out put of your GSHP unit, then I'd make the loop field 50% bigger.

By the way, have you done a heat loss analysis on your house? Your whole project really ought to start there.

But now that you have the heat pump, it will determine your loop field size, and therefore the rate of heat output from your system.

You're kind of starting at the middle and working toward the end, if you know what I mean.

Here is the greatest source of information you can find about correctly doing your project. The manuals are a bit expensive, but with the money you already saved, and the additional money you'll save by having heavy equipment at your disposal, AND the money you will save when your system is correctly designed and built, the price is a true bargain.

I own manual #21020. It tells the whole story... I love it, you will too.

We have had people post here who have found copies in libraries, or used on Amazon, or maybe ebay. I have looked at a lot of manuals but the IGSHPA manuals are the best.

-AC