View Single Post
Old 10-02-09, 07:52 PM   #10
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I do have a 7/4 programmable thermostat, which would be great if I left the house on the same schedule every week. Instead, I'd like a button I can hit on my way out the door that sets it to 45°F for eight hours. This could be achieved with a switch and a timer in series with my programmable thermostat, and if necessary, a nonprogrammable thermostat in parallel, set to 45°F. File that under "interesting circuit, not worth building".

Christ, thanks for sharing that info about cold starts. A friend of mine got a new thermostat with a programmable temperature range, and now I know why.
NP, That's why they say you're best off with a system that's slightly bigger than too small, but slightly smaller than perfect sized.

I don't use furnace heat, but I've thought about a few ways to help maintain the temperature of the furnace, so that it wouldn't be quite so inefficient on startups.

Of course, the whole idea is defeated by having a house that doesn't lose heat quickly, also. The less your heater has to turn on, the better off you'll be on energy bills, even if the few times the furnace does come on, it's cold-starting.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote