View Single Post
Old 05-27-13, 01:10 PM   #4
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

If you can pump 8 gallons per minute out of that well, you can do a 5T system if the ground water is 50F (9C) or higher. All you need to do then is find a place to dump it (mine goes back into a pond, creek works well too) or dig another well to dump it in*. 1 pound water = 1 BTU deg F, etc. for the calculations on needed flow and temp drops, etc.....

My own system cranks out 59,000 BTU hr on a 9 gpm flow. COP = 5.6. I use 75 feet of 3/4" Cu pipe inside 1-1/4" pvc pipe for the evaporator. TXV with 7 deg F superheat setting feeds the evaporator. Condensor is an reclaimed 7-1/2T carrier AC coil.

Be sure you build yourself a cutoff switch that will shut down if evap outlet water temp hits freezing. Before I had my cutoff switch wired in (temp sensitive resistors and a LM139 comparator and relay) my valve failed closed and froze the whole evap and split a bunch of the pvc pipe.

* There are MANY different local rules on being able to do (or not do) this, best to check it out but keep your mouth shut at the same time if you know what I mean<G> Here, we need water rights, etc to withdraw ground water even though it is pumped back in, but that is the US western lands.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote