View Single Post
Old 01-24-14, 10:31 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Home Depot rental departments have the Flir i7.

Check to see if your local store has one that they rent out
FLIR Infrared Camera Rental at The Home Depot | FLIR Systems, Inc.

My local store rents them out for $45 for 4 hours and $75 for 24 hours.

I had an energy audit done and I know the places I want to check after completing my air sealing and fixing the gaps in insulation that were found. I plan to use 4 box fans in two windows blowing out to make a mock blower door to do the job. This will provide all the answers that I would get with a follow up energy audit but I'd be able to take my time with the camera. I won't have a final CFM number but the reality is that if I find more air leaks or ones that weren't solved, I will fix them and even though I'm curious, the CFM will likely be improved but I don't really need to quantify it because I know the house is as good as I could get it.

I have another friend who is interested in doing the same thing after he had his energy audit early this winter. My brother isn't convinced that he needs an energy audit so I'll be bringing the camera to his house and doing the same thing. I should be able to cover all 3 houses on the 4 hour rental if I can move at a decent pace and split the $45 cost.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-25-14), Servicetech (01-25-14)