View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 02:38 PM   #9
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

At the moment we have a recirculating range hood in the kitchen. It works but not great.

The house never had any vents for kitchen or bath added when built 50 years ago. When I redid the roof I specifically added venting for the bathroom and kitchen but hooking them up hasn't happened yet.

As things already are I need to add an air intake to bring in replacement air going out via the woodstove. The stove being in the middle of the house means I can't directly plumb it outside and will probably just dump the cold air into a small "closet" right beside the chimney. This area gets warmed by the stove via the chimney so that will help deal with preheating in that case.

The range hood isn't likely to be running enough to make me too concerned about cold air coming in when the woodstove isn't running.

So the biggest concern is the dryer drawing air in when the woodstove isn't running and it's winter. That could be corrected with a closet and outside venting I suppose. I'll have to decide if it's a serious enough issue to target.

It's too bad they don't have heat exchangers that can reliably deal with "dirty" air. I'd love to plumb the dryer and kitchen range into one and just be done with it.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote