View Single Post
Old 12-29-10, 01:05 PM   #463
bigsmile
Lurking Renovator

I really mean it when I said I'm not sure. I read about refrigeration a little, but it's all theory. No one really told me much about consequences of these theories, and I have to figure it out myself. I really think about the refrigeration process a lot recently and I think I have figured a few things out. For example, am I right in thinking that if you oversize the exchanges, leaving the compressor undersized, you are less likely to run into trouble (other than a little higher pressure drop at the exchanges perhaps), but if you have the one or both of the exchanges undersized, that will cause trouble? This is the kind of thing that I think is correct, but never get a confirmation from someone who really knows it.

The reason that I have to figure these things out myself is because I didn't get answer when I asked these questions on "DIY" forums. The people there pretty much tell you "DIY? No way", citing insurmountable "technical complexity" that can only be mastered by professionals. They never bother to discuss in much detail about these technical difficulties, like sizing the components of a system.

This kind of negativity, and in some cases, to some degree, hostility toward DIY is not restricted to AC. I met similar atmosphere in a solar energy forum.

Last edited by bigsmile; 12-29-10 at 01:16 PM..
bigsmile is offline   Reply With Quote